Thursday 22 November 2007

28th July, 2007. Day one, Phase two

Peddling along the country roads, I settled very quickly into a comfortable rhythm. It was sunny and calm but not too warm - a big change to the thunder and showers predicted. I had agreed with John that I would meet him in Malin town (13km). We both knew, from experience, that this part of the journey would involve us meeting regularly along the trip. The plan for today was to travel 54km to Groarty House B&B in Derry City. Initially, with the car journey up to Donegal, I had hoped to ease into my trip and cycle just 38km as far as Carrowkeel (Quigley's Point), but the few B&B's in that area were booked out due to a golf tournament. The next nearest B&B en route was Groarty House.

I wanted to avoid main roads as far as possible, so shortly after my start I veered off the "main road" to Malin town and took a smaller road. I could see from the map that this was over a hill but it wasn't too steep. As I struggled up the hill I was taken by the silence. My training for this cycling was on Dublin City streets, but never out to country roads. The country silence was noticeably different and I enjoyed and appreciated that numerous times during my expedition. Before long I was over the hill and careering down into Malin town. When I got there John was waiting at his car.



I stopped for a quick chat and a drink of water. Some men that John had met up in Malin Head, who had rushed over to him as soon as I left to enquire about where I might be going, came out of a shop and wished me luck. They also suggested that maybe we were going to throw the bike in the car at the first opportunity! Huh! John and I made arrangements to meet at a later stage and I headed off. Everything was just fine, the logistics were sorted, the plan was coming together, I was on my way out of the town without a care in the world. Life was great, and I was peddling. Somebody whistled loudly ….. a kind of a warning whistle. In these cycling shorts I expected maybe an odd wolf whistle, but this was no wolf whistle. Definitely a warning whistle. I looked around to see if by any chance it was directed at me and there was John pointing inquisitively at another direction to mine. I looked at the road sign and "Oh nooooo ….". I turned the bike around and as nonchalantly as possible tried to make it look like I was just exploring that side of town before taking the proper route. Before me was an expedition of many miles on roads, across mountains, lakes, rivers …… and I had taken the wrong turning in the very first little town! How embarrassing. Pedal Seamus, pedal.







Are all weapons not decommissioned yet? That child has a gun!

Next stop was Muff, where I met John and had a banana and strawberry Yop.


I had noticed that during training for this cycling, when I was cycling from Dublin Port, around Howth Head, and back to my house in Clontarf, that a banana and Yop were a perfect snack mid-route. Tasty and sweet. I had noticed that I felt drained by the time I got home if I had chocolate. I reckon it gives you a quick sugar high but is followed by a quick low. That's my tip to you budding adventurers.

Back on the bike and in to Derry City. This was back to the horrible traffic, just like back in Dublin. The quietness of the country roads very quickly shattered - particularly so when some lads driving past let a roar at me out of their passenger window! Just for the fun I presume! I had a GPS mounted on the bike so followed that through the unfamiliar streets, and from an Ordnance Survey map I could see there was a hill to climb to get to the B&B. And what a hill. This was a killer, so late in the day. Looking back on the cycling part of the trip it was probably the third steepest hill. And that wasn't the only problem. The part of the City I was going through reminded me of certain parts of Dublin - the tougher parts. Except maybe perched on the steep side of Howth Head. So here I was, struggling to get up the hill but there was NO WAY I was going to stop. I was aware of people looking curiously at me but I was keen not to make eye contact with them. But with their peaked caps and hoodies, maybe that eye contact wasn't possible but I wasn't taking the chance anyway. So I peddled as hard as I could, as hard as that was. It seemed to take for ages, but eventually I was leaving suburbia and back onto a country road. Like leaving Jobstown for the Dublin Mountains. The GPS was telling me to keep going another couple of kilometres and the legs were telling me you've had enough. Peddle, peddle, peddle and there it was - Groarty House B&B (62 Groarty Road), at 7:30pm. A sanctuary in Derry!

John's car was there but no sign of John. It turned out there were two roads to this place and John reckoned I was on the other so he headed off to take photos of me arriving. I was relieved to hear the other road was just as steep! Stuart, a boy of nine or ten, efficiently took charge of welcoming me to the B&B, allowed me to park my bike around the back, and showed me to my room. He then enquired as to what time I wanted breakfast and told me that would be fine! His baby-sitter was in the background but he was in charge here!

John and I marvelled at the tremendous view of Derry City (my legs paid the pain for that view!), watched television for a short while and then dozed off. Day 1 - started and done. 52km. I was really happy that this expedition, so long in the planning , was actually happening.

Tomorrow's plan was to bring me 50km as far as Castlederg. But I had done 52 km in three hours today! I wondered if I could do more and get ahead ……… zzzzzzz

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

.....and once again Bro John sets you on the right road! Photos look great - glad day one was a success.

Anonymous said...

A lifetime of responsibility: looking after the young ones! Great description Seamus. Reminds me of why cycling is so good and why that weekend in July was so enjoyable. The image of you trying to whizz through the tough areas is a vivid one: some of those hlls woudl challenge anyone.

Unknown said...

I feel tired just reading this.. very brave admitting to going in the wrong direction, or where you worried John would enlighten us if you left it out! Looking forward to day 2..

Man of Malin said...

Very astute Annette .... !

Anonymous said...

(I tried to send this comment last week but it didn't "take".)
I was wondering who was taking those pictures with you in them and then I realized it was John. What is yop? The mix of writing and pictures results in a very enjoyable blog for the reader. Did you keep notes at the end of each day?

Man of Malin said...

Yop is a dairy drink - like a mixture of yogurt and milk. Lovely stuff!

I had a dictaphone with me for keeping notes. Modern technology!